Arbitration Services and Case Management
The BVI IAC provides administrative and concierge support in international arbitrations involving various combinations of states, state entities, international organizations and private parties.
The BVI IAC provides full administrative and concierge services in support of parties and arbitrators conducting arbitral proceedings under its auspices, serving as the official channel of communications and ensuring safe custody of documents. The BVI IAC also provides services such as financial administration, logistical and technical support for meetings and hearings, travel arrangements, and general secretarial and linguistic support.
A staff member of the Secretariat may be appointed as registrar or administrative secretary for a case and carry out administrative tasks at the direction of the arbitral tribunal.
Parties may agree or tribunals may request that the BVI IAC provide any of the following registry services:
- Communications between the parties and the arbitral tribunal and between the parties;
- Maintaining an archive of filings and correspondence;
- Making all arrangements concerning fees and advance deposits to be made on account of such fees in consultation with the parties and the arbitral tribunal;
- Holding the party deposits and disbursing tribunal fees and expenses;
- Assisting the arbitral tribunal to establish the date, time and place of hearings, and giving such advance notice thereof to the parties as the tribunal determines;
- Making its hearing and meeting rooms available to the parties and the arbitral tribunal;
- Making arrangements for transcription, recording, interpretation, translation, catering, or other support associated with hearings or meetings at the IAC or elsewhere, the costs of which shall be borne by the parties;
- Assisting with travel and hotel reservations; and
- Carrying out any other tasks entrusted to it by the parties or the arbitral tribunal.
I. Holding security for fees and expenses on behalf of Arbitrators, Mediators and Adjudicators
An administrative fee of US$ 500 per party per annum is payable on receipt of the funds and thereafter every year. Unless otherwise directed, all expenses and disbursements incurred in connection with the specific matter will be deducted from the funds held by BVI IAC. A quarterly Statement will be sent to the Arbitrator, Mediator or Adjudicator and the parties upon request. BVI IAC shall not bear any liability in respect of funds held on behalf of the tribunal.
II. Holding security for the amount in dispute or security for costs as directed by the Arbitrator, Mediator or Adjudicator
BVI IAC's fee for acting as stakeholder is US$ 1,500 per annum, payable when the security for the amount in dispute or the security for costs is sent to BVI IAC. Unless otherwise directed, all expenses and disbursements incurred in connection with the specific matter will be deducted from the funds held by BVI IAC.
The Secretariat of the BVI IAC (hereinafter the “Secretariat”) shall serve as registry for the proceedings and provide administrative services. Such administrative services may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- maintenance of a file of written communications;
- facilitating communication;
- making all necessary practical arrangements and providing logistical support for meetings and hearings, including the provision of:
- secretarial or clerical assistance to the arbitral tribunal;
- meeting rooms and break-out rooms for hearings or deliberations of the arbitral tribunal;
- telephone conference and videoconference facilities;
- facilities to enable transcripts of hearings to be made and to assist with the obtaining of visas for short-hand writers and permits for the import of all necessary equipment;
- live streaming facilities;
- document management and interpretation services;
- assistance in obtaining entry visas for the purposes of hearings when required;
- assistance with arrangements for travel and accommodation for parties and arbitrators;
- providing fundholding services;
- ensuring that the arbitral tribunal and the parties are alerted to pending procedurally important dates and advising the arbitral tribunal and the parties in the event that they have not been met;
- proofreading and citation checking of draft procedural orders and awards;
- providing assistance, as and when required, so far as obtaining certified copies of any award, including notarized copies, is concerned;
- to the extent that it is able to do so, providing assistance with the translation of arbitral awards;
- providing services with respect to the storage of arbitral awards and files relating to the arbitral proceedings;
- providing assistance in the appointment of experts;
- providing assistance in the appointment of administrative secretaries.